1. We will send an initial courtesy letter to check writers.
2. If necessary, we will send the "demand" letter required by law via certified mail to the check-writer.
3. Upon payment by the check-writer, we will reimburse the merchant the full amount of the restitution (amount of the check), PLUS your merchant fee (typically $30.00 less the cost of the certified letter).
4. If payment is not made, we will file a criminal charge against the check writer for checks between the amounts of $100.00 - $2,500.00.
5. Checks under $100.00 will be prosecuted in the Justice Courts. Checks above $2,500.00 will be forwarded to the District Attorney's Office for prosecution.
6. Upon successful prosecution, payment of restitution will be made a condition of probation in appropriate cases.
Requirements to submit a hot check for collection:
1. Need to submit the original check (or photo from bank if that is what bank returned).
2. Need to submit information on the check passer:
* Name and Address of person who passed the check
* Driver's license number and date of birth of person who passed the check
* Telephone number of person who passed the check
3. Need to submit a completed WORTHLESS CHECK FORM
4. This office can only prosecute checks that are returned from the bank stamped "NSF" or "ACCOUNT CLOSED". If you have a check that has been returned from the bank for another reason please contact our office to discuss it further.
5. If you receive a returned check that was marked "FORGERY" or "SIGNATURE IRREGULAR", please contact your local law enforcement agency for investigation.